Friday, March 21, 2008

Reproaches of Good Friday

English

The Reproaches

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you answer me!

I led you out of Egypt from slavery to freedom, but you have led your Savior, and
nailed Him to a cross.

Agios o Theos, Agios ischyros,
Agios athanatos eleison imas.
Holy is God, Holy and Strong,
Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.

For forty years in safety, I led you through the desert, I fed you with my manna,
I gave you your own land, but you have led your Savior, and nailed Him to a Cross.

Agios o Theos, Agios ischyros,
Agios athanatos eleison imas.
Holy is God, Holy and Strong,
Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.

O what more would you ask from me? I planted you, my vineyard, but sour grapes you
gave me, and vinegar to drink, and you have pierced your Savior and pierced Him
with a spear.

Agios o Theos, Agios ischyros,
Agios athanatos eleison imas.
Holy is God, Holy and Strong,
Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.

For you scourged your captors, their first born sons were taken, but you have
taken scourges and brought them down on Me.

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you? Answer me!

From slavery to freedom I led you, drowned your captors. But I am taken captive
and handed to your priests.

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you? Answer me!

Your path lay through the waters, I opened them before you, my side you have laid
open and bared it with a spear.

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you? Answer me!

I led you, held securely, My fire and cloud before you, but you have led your
Savior, hands bound to Pilate's court.

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you? Answer me!

I bore you up with manna, you bore me down and scourged me. I gave you saving
water, but you gave me soured wine.

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you? Answer me!

The kings who reigned in Canaan, I struck way before you. But you have struck my
crowned head, and struck it with a reed.

My people, My people what have I done to you, how have I offended you? Answer me!

I gave you a royal scepter but you gave me a thorn crown. I raised you up in
power, but you raised me on the Cross.

Agios o Theos, Agios ischyros,
Agios athanatos eleison imas.
Holy is God, Holy and Strong,
Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us.


A Poor Clare Colettine Nun


Español

Improperios (Impecaciones, Reproches, Improperia)

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

¡Porque te saqué de la tierra de Egipto, preparaste una cruz a tu Salvador!

Santo Dios. Santo Fuerte.
Santo Inmortal, ten misericordia de nosotros.

Porque te llevé cuarenta años por el desierto, te alimenté con el maná, y te introduje en tierra muy buena, preparaste una cruz a tu Salvador.

Santo Dios. Santo Fuerte.
Santo Inmortal, ten misericordia de nosotros.

¿Que más debí hacer por tí, que no hiciese? Yo te planté viña mía preciosísima: ¡y tú me has salido tan amarga! Pues en mi sed me diste a beber vinagre, y ¡con la lanza abriste el costado de tu Salvador!

Santo Dios. Santo Fuerte.
Santo Inmortal, ten misericordia de nosotros.

Por tí azoté a Egipto y a sus primogénitos; ¡y tú me azotaste y me entregaste!

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Yo te saqué de Egipto, sumiendo a Faraón en el mar Rojo; y ¡tú me entregaste a los Príncipes de los Sacerdotes!

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Yo abrí el mar delante de ti; tú con la lanza abriste mi costado.

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Yo te guiaba con una columna de nubes; tú me guiaste al pretorio de Pilato.

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Yo te sustenté con maná en el desierto; tú me abofeteaste y me azotaste.

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Yo te dí a beber el agua salvadora, que brotó de la peña; tú me diste a beber vinagre y hiel.

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Por tí herí a los reyes cananeos; tú me heriste la cabeza con la caña.

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Yo te dí el cetro real; tú me pusiste una corona de espinas.

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Yo te levanté con gran poder; tú me colgaste del patíbulo de la cruz.

¡Pueblo mío! ¿Qué te hice? ¿En qué te he ofendido? ¡Respóndeme!

Santo Dios. Santo Fuerte.
Santo Inmortal, ten misericordia de nosotros.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These words ring so true with me - it is just like Christians today being persecuted for doing good... the World seeks to hate and destroy those who only wish goodness on others, but we can take heart! Because it was first done to Christ..... x